Harrer Family

Harrer Family History

In 1935, in Bozeman, MT, the Harrer family was involved with their first cattle, a Holstein dairy operation. W. J. “Wib” Harrer was one of the founding directors of the Gallatin Cooperative Creamery, which is now under the Dairy Gold name.

  • In 1936, Wib Harrer bought his first Angus cattle from which he and his brother, Fred Harrer, developed the Hyalite Angus Ranch, near Belgrade, MT.
  • In 1946, this herd dispersed. Wib and sons, Bill and John moved to Helena Valley and began the W. J. Harrer and Sons Green Meadow Ranch. John soon left the ranch to go to veterinary school. Fred Harrer and his family began the Valley Grove Angus Ranch, remaining in Belgrade.
  • During the 1950’s, the Green Meadow Ranch was a major force at cattle shows throughout the Montana and the Western United States. In 1952 and 1953, Green Meadow had the champion bull at the Cow Palace in San Francisco.
  • cattle In 1953, the Green Meadow Ranch began their annual “Uniformity Sale”, selling cattle throughout the Western United States.
  • In 1970, the Green Meadow Ranch was dispersed. Bill Harrer’s share provided the down payment for Lost Lake Ranch. Bill’s goal was to establish a top commercial herd that had the quality and the efficiency to make ranch payments…..a goal that was met.
  • IN 1968, Bill and Dolores Harrer had purchased the Lost Lake Ranch, beginning the conversion to Angus cattle there with 10 registered cows purchased from the Green Meadow operation.
  • In 1983, Windy Ridge Commodore was born and raised in Karen Harrer’s small herd. That bull later sold partial interest to the Arntzen Ranch in Hilger, MT.
  • Lost Lake Ranch has always been active in the North Montana Angus Association. It was through this group that Bill Harrer and Bob Hodgskiss developed and supported the Northern Lights Angus Sale in Great Falls. Lost Lake Ranch marketed cattle through that sale yearly until they and the Hodgskiss brothers began having their own production sale, the “Triangle Angus Breeders” sale.
  • In 1992, the cattle and equipment were sold to Grant and Deanna Harrer, who continue to carry on the tradition of Angus cattle in the Harrer family. Harrer’s Lost Lake Ranch now happily serves Fort Benton, Loma, Carter, and Highwood, MT clients. Contact us today to learn more.